Yorick Brown (b. 1980) is the primary protagonist of the series.
A young amateur escape artist, Yorick is one of the two last men on Earth. He is often reckless and tries to defuse tense situations with his humor. He is an under-achiever and a slacker, but actually quite bright. He has a degree in English, knows far too much about pop culture, and has "F*** Communism" engraved on his lighter. Yorick mentions that the engraving was inspired by a "graphic novel" he read, (presumably Garth Ennis' Preacher). It has since been learned the only real reason he survived the plague is due to the fact that he owned Ampersand, a Capuchian monkey who survived the plague. Handling Ampersand's feces and cleaning him up gave Yorick Ampersand's resistance to the plague as well. Template:Expand
- Escapology: Yorick is a learned escape artist. When the plague first struck, he was in the midst of a telephone conversation with Beth Deville while suspended upside down in a straight jacket. Yorick was able to free himself by the end of the conversation and minutes from The Plague.
- Prestidigitation: Yorick is skilled at sleight of hand and parlor magic tricks. He used these skills to earn himself a meager income. He was successful enough at this art that he was able to earn enough money to purchase an engagement ring for Beth Deville.
- Average Strength: Yorick possesses the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engages in moderate regular exercise.
- Zippo lighter with the phrase "F*** Communism" engraved on the side.
- Yorick's father was a fan of English playright William Shakespeare and named both of his children after Shakespearian characters. Yorick was named for a minor character referenced in Hamlet, while Hero Brown is named for a female protagonist from Much Ado About Nothing.
- When Yorick visits Rose near the end of Book 5, it is revealed that he has gone bald.
- Y: The Last Man at DC Comics/Vertigo page
- Y: The Last Man article at the 4th Rail
- Y: The Last Man article at Answers.com
- Y: The Last Man review at Strange Horizons